11 de abril de 2019

The Growunp by Gillian Flynn

Information:

Title: The Grownup
Author: Gillian Flynn
Genre: Short story/Fiction/Mistery
Publication date: 17 February 2016
Pages: 79
Publisher: Orion Publishing Co
ISBN: 978-1-4746-0304-1
Buy it here! 

'I watched the house. It watched me back through long, baleful windows so tall a child could stand in the sill. And one was. I could see the lenght of his thin body: gray trousers, black sweater, a maroon tie perfectly knotted at the neck. A thicket of dark hair covering his eyes..."

A young woman is making a living faking it as a cut-price psychic (with some illegal soft-core sex work on the side). She makes a decent wage mostly by telling people what they want to hear. But then she meets Susan Burke. 

Susan moved to the city one year ago with her husband and 15-year-old stepson Miles. They live in a Victorian house called Carterhook Manor. Susan has become convinced that some malevolent spirit is inhabiting their home. The young woman doesn't believe in exorcism or the supernatural. However when she enters the house for the first time, she begins to feel it too, as if the very house is watching her, waiting, biding its time . . . 

The Grownup, which originally appeared as 'What Do You Do?' in George R. R. Martin's Rogues anthology, proves once again that Gillian Flynn is one of the world's most original and skilled voices in fiction.


Soooo the story is a little weird. I've never hear of someone that does that kind of job for a living, maybe it's because I'm too young or maybe too naive for my age (I'm 22), haha, nevermind. But that makes the story, in my opinion, also very unique.
The good part of being a short story is that the action or the trouble starts inmediately. The first pages describes the childhood and the current job of the main character, in the middle is where te action begins and on the last pages whe have the closer of this story, BUT it was not what I was expecting it to be.
We can say that the story has two endings and I don´t know what ending to choose or believe in. That makes the story, again, very unique, but also I didn´t like it. I was expecting something else but the fact that the end of this original short story was so confusing makes the story much more fascinating. 

Flynn is very original when she has to write and build stories, that is a thing I cannot deny, and that's why she is one of my favourite authors. 


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario